CERTIFIED NURSING ASSISTANT
The Urbana Adult Education Center (UAEC) holds two Certified Nursing Assistant training classes during the Fall semester and two CNA classes during the Spring semester. This CNA training program is approved by the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH), and course requirements are specific to the state of Illinois. Upon successful completion of the CNA training program at Urbana Adult Education, students are eligible to sit for the Illinois Nurse Aide Competency Exam (INACE) http://www.nurseaidetesting.com.
The classroom phase of the CNA class approximately is 5-6 weeks. The clinical portion is approximately 2 weeks. Any day(s) cancelled due to inclement weather (i.e. snow days) must be made up per Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) guidelines. Classes are held at the ILEAS Training Center (1701 E. Main St, Urbana, IL 61802). Click on the links below to learn more about our Certified Nursing Assistant program.
Please read the entire CNA online application form for a full list of requirements. These are the basic requirements that CNA students must meet:
- Students must be at least eighteen (18) years of age by the time the clinical portion of the class starts. (OSHA regulation)
- Test at a minimum 9th grade reading level (preferred, not required)
- Students will need to show proof of immunizations including MMR (measles, mumps, rubella), Varicella, Covid-19, and Influenza.
- Persons who are currently on probation (for any reason) or parole (for any conviction) are not eligible for the CNA class.
- If the CNA student requires a waiver of his/her criminal history, he/she will need to complete a healthcare worker waiver application. The student must be approved and have the approval letter with him/her when he/she applies for the class. DO NOT bring us the waiver application. Send the waiver application to the Illinois Department of Public Health. The decision regarding the waiver is made by the Illinois Department of Public Health. This is a six to eight-week process.
- Students may need a note from their doctor clearing them for the heavy lifting involved during the Clinical phase of the course.