The Urbana Adult Education Center (UAEC) holds two Certified Nursing Assistant training classes during the Fall semester and two CNA classes during the Spring semester. This CNA training program is approved by the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH), and course requirements are specific to the state of Illinois. Upon successful completion of the CNA training program at Urbana Adult Education, students are eligible to sit for the Illinois Nurse Aide Competency Exam (INACE) http://www.nurseaidetesting.com.
The classroom phase of the CNA class is 5 ½ to 6 weeks, depending on holidays. Any day(s) cancelled due to inclement weather (i.e. snow days) must be made up per Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) guidelines.
Classes are held at the ILEAS Training Center (1701 E. Main St, Urbana, IL 61802) from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. The clinical rotation of the class is the last 11 days, 8:15 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Students are required to attend all class and clinical sessions. There are no excused absences or tardies.
The Fall 2019 Semester Schedule for the CNA Program is as follows:
The next CNA class will start on October 15th, 2019, and graduate on December 12th, 2019. (ALL DATES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE). All application materials will be due by the date of testing. If you are interested in applying for the CNA class, you may view and download the application (below), or stop by our office to pick up a copy. Please read the entire application, start to finish!
These are the basic requirements that CNA students must meet. Please read the entire application for a full list of requirements.
- The CNA student must have graduated from an accredited high school or have passed the GED.
- Students must be at least eighteen (18) years of age by the time the clinical portion of the class starts. (OSHA regulation)
- Test at a minimum 9th grade reading level
- Students will need to show proof of immunizations including MMR (measles, mumps, rubella), Varicella, Rubeola, and Influenza.
- Persons who are currently on probation (for any reason) or parole (for any conviction) are not eligible for the CNA class.
- If the CNA student requires a waiver of his/her criminal history, he/she will need to complete a healthcare worker waiver application. The student must be approved and have the approval letter with him/her when he/she applies for the class. DO NOT bring us the waiver application. Send the waiver application to the Illinois Department of Public Health. The decision regarding the waiver is made by the Illinois Department of Public Health. This is a six to eight-week process.
- Pregnant students need a note from their doctor clearing them for the heavy lifting involved during the Clinical phase of the course.
- $7.00 student application fee.
- For our Fall 2019 Quarter 2 Class (October – December), Urbana Adult Education is happy to announce that there will be no class fee. Tuition will be free for all students.
- Eligible students may apply for the WIOA Scholarship, which provides students CNA textbook, the class uniform, and also assistance with job placement and post-secondary education costs. Please see application for full details.
On January 1, 2017, the Illinois Department of Public Health approved an increase in testing fees to cover the credit card transaction cost that is incurred for each transaction that is processed for purchasing a seat. Effective July 1, 2017, the Illinois Nurse Assistant/Aide Testing Project at Southern Illinois University Carbondale will be instituting the increase in testing fees as detailed below.
The adjusted fees are as follows:
A fee of $67 per test will be collected from each Candidate taking the test for the first time.
A fee of $36 will be collected from a Candidate who has failed the exam during the previous twelve months.
A fee of $26 will be collected from a Candidate to re-schedule a ‘No Show” exam.
A fee of $47 will be collected for language translation on approved non-English exams. This is in addition to the test fee (i.e. a first time tester who is approved for a translated exam would pay (67+47=$114) or a retake of a failed translated exam would cost (36+47=$83)
For classes in Illinois, http://www.cnaclasses.org/cna-training/cna-classes-in-illinois/
State Exam Information, including a sample test: http://www.nurseaidetesting.com/
Frequently asked questions list about the CNA state exam